Check out my new respirator!
The hull panels are complete and the scarf joints have been sanded smooth. I spent all of last week, taking my time, gluing the sections together along the hull pieces. In tandem with the hull panels, I also epoxied the scarf joints of the sheer clamps (these are long 1" x 3/4" that are glued to the finished side hull panel to add structural integrity and additional surface area for the kayak deck to be attached to.
I spent a few hours today using the electric sander to smooth out the epoxy squeeze out from the scarf joints. This epoxy stuff is pretty hard stuff, but with some 100 grit sand paper and some muscle, I sanded it all down. The respirator I picked up yesterday was just for this kind of sanding work. I don't want to breathe wood and epoxy dust. Also during the sanding I placed a box fan as an outlet exhaust fan to help clear the dusty air as I worked.
Next step: I need to epoxy the sheer clamps to the side hull panels. This steps involves a lot of clamps and patience to get the pieces set in just the right place.