Friday, January 18, 2008

The kayak has landed











Today the kayak arrived. I had to call UPS to get them to schedule the delivery, but once I did it took them only a few hours to get out to my house. I was not expecting the big UPS semi-truck that rolled up to the house, though. Uh-oh, I thought. Must be big boxes, but to my surprise the shipment looks smaller over all than I expected. From those three boxes will come my kayak. wow. 

Now everything is in the garage except for the instruction manual, plans and overview DVD on building the boat. I already watched the 60 minute tutorial which has simultaneously excited me and almost daunted me on the task at hand. There are definitely a lot of steps and some clever clamping in my future. I feel confident, though, in the instructions and my ability to be patient. 
My next immediate steps are to finish setting up the garage for the construction. Of the top of my head,  here's what I need:

• Fluorescent shop lights and small space heater
• Wood saw horses
• Plastic sheeting for warming tent
• Some plywood to make a long table to layout and assemble wood parts
• More clamps.