Sunday, June 22, 2008

4th Coat and Outfitting

I could not be more close to being finished at this point in the game. Seriously. Tomorrow, the boat will be done. What else do I have to do? Three things:

1. glue seat in place
2. attach back brace straps to sheer clamp
3. tie rope loops through the bow and stern holes

Yes, that's it!

This afternoon I finished up the bungie cord and hatch cover rigging. I also installed the pieces of wood that hip padding foam is glued to. I need to let the epoxy set that I used to mount the hip pad braces over night. 

Here are a few photos:


These straps are screwed into the deck with brass fittings.


The straps are then run through the buckles to keep the hatch down.

Here's a look at the rigging set up.


3 comments:

Katie said...

What a stunning looking kayak!! Wowza! I'm still in awe about this whole project. You've done an amazing job and I'm just so thrilled that not only did you decide to tackle such an intricate and time-consuming project but that you chose to share the making of it in pictures and words on your blog. I can't wait to see it in person! You're a true renaissance man carrying on the spirit of AFB and that's pretty darn special.

Lupine Lady said...

We agree with Katie, Mark. What a special project and how wonderful that you were so skilled and patient and deliberate about each step. It's a beautiful craft and we can't wait to see pictures of your maiden voyage. It just glows. You must be so proud!

Cynthia said...

OK, I agree with both of the above. It truly is a work of art and I can hardly wait to see it in the water. You are really amazing and Daddy would be so proud of you. Who knew when you made that little footstool in his shop in Maine so long ago, that this would be the result. I think your grandfather saw this sort of thing in your future and you've now made it happen. Fantastico!!