Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm in stitches

Check it out! 

Some major hours in the shop this past weekend and I have a fully formed kayak hull to show for it. I meticulously worked my way down from the bow to the stern drilling 1/16" holes and threading 18 gauge copper wire through the holes and twisted them tight to draw the planks together. It's amazing how the wood bends and twists to form the shape, especially the bottom panels as they approach the vertical areas of the bow and stern. 

Not too many details on this step, just that it took awhile to work all the way down the boat, switching sides ever 3 or 4 stitches. Next steps involve flipping the boat over and working on filling in the seams with epoxy and fiberglass. This locks the boat into its shape and embeds the interior copper wires into the epoxy bead. 

I'm very excited to have the boat take shape like this!


No comments: