Wednesday, March 26, 2008

WARNING!


I can't say why, 8  years ago, I bought these diamond shaped chemical warning stickers you see on the side of 18 wheelers. But they seemed pretty cool and like a fun thing to have on hand, for whatever reason that might be. Well, I was digging around in my storage box of decals and graphic design samples yesterday and these finally resurfaced and have been put to use. Purely as a joke of course, I don't have any flammable compounds or organic peroxide, whatever that is.

The reason why I started looking through the box in the basement in the first place was to find my supply of those old school rub-on-letters. I was inspired to begin the customization of my kayak by putting a little message on the surface of the rear bulkhead, an area that will be under the deck and behind the seat. "GetLost 08" will forever live incased under layers of epoxy as I paddle around. 

Also, in honor and inspiration of my grandfather, wooden boat builder extraordinaire, I applied the letters "afb" to the face of the forward bulkhead, down by where my feet will be. I'm sure this part of the boat will be hardly ever seen, but it was just for me, knowing that he will be floating around with me.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mark, I just love the afb part. Putting things in secret places is so cool. I wrote such a message before wallpapering in one of our houses. Maybe someday somebody will find it!

cyn