Friday, April 18, 2008

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

(Check it out, over there just to the left. I have a GetLost Donation Fund. No pressure. Just pointing that out to you! ;^)

It's funny how instructions that seem short and straight forward in the manual are much more involved and prone for mishaps. I just finished installing the curved deck beam across the width of the boat. This beam will add support for the deck as well as help structure the curvature of the deck once it's installed.

I won't get into too many details  but there was a lot more sanding and fine tuning than expected to make the beam fit just right. There was also a trip to my favorite (cheap) hardware store to purchase a screw head countersink. And then multiple trips in and out of the house (opps, I forgot my camera. oops, I need my headlamp. oops, I need a mixing container...) 

So the deck beam is now installed. It's held in place with a 1.5" brass wood screw counter sunk into the hull and through the sheer clamp and into the end of the deck beam, plus some epoxy to add extra strength and structure. I'm letting this set overnight to harden. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything takes longer and is more complicated and requires more trips to the hardware store than anticipated! Just think of all those cool tools you now own!

Cyn