Thursday, April 10, 2008

Silver Ghost


After three passes with progressively finer sandpaper (80, 120, 220) the kayak is now super smooth. It's nice. All the copper wire nubs are smooth and the panel seams are rounded over. It's ready to cover in fiberglass.



Here you can see the long piece of fiberglass fabric that I have draped over the boat, smoothed flat with my hands. It's important to work out the wrinkles and kinks before pouring on the epoxy. It's pretty cool how the fiberglass starts to conform to the contours of the kayak, especially along the bow curves. In this area the fabric weave allows the fiberglass to stretch unequally, letting it round the corner with out folding or kinking the fabric. 



At this point it's ready for me to start covering the fabric with epoxy, which I plan on doing tonight...

1 comment:

Katie said...

How thick and flexible was this long piece of fabric? I I can't quite picture fiberglass fabric! I don't guess I'd want to make blazer out of it. Like the Silver Ghost/AFB connection too. Hope you had lots of ventilation for the epoxy stage tonight!